Table of Contents
- Three Reasons Abortion Should Not Be Legal
Abortion has been a very controversial conflict in society since it became legal. The largest problem with abortion is that people think everyone should make their own choice; on the other hand, people say if they can conceive they should have to keep the child because it is a human being as soon as is conceived. There are negative and positive aspects from each side of the argument. Before researching, I was on the pro-choice side, but after researching both sides, I am stuck in the middle. Each side of the argument will be in the essay below.
Three Reasons Abortion Should Not Be Legal
- Abortion is murder Life begins at conception, so unborn babies are human beings with a right to life
- Abortions cause psychological damage
- Women should not be able to use abortion as a form of contraception
If women become pregnant, they should accept the responsibility that comes with producing a child Believing Suggested by Elbow
- What interesting or helpful about this view?
- What would I notice if I believed this view?
- In what sense or under what conditions might this idea be true?
Argument #1: Abortion is murder Life begins at conception, so unborn babies are human beings with a right to life
- One aspect that is interesting about this view is unborn babies are considered humans as soon as conception. Even though the baby would not be able to live outside the mother, it is still a human being.
- Something I would notice if I believed this view, would be that a lot of people are killing unborn babies. The number keeps increasing because women are using abortion as a type of contraceptive.
- This idea might be true because as soon as conception the baby continues to grow inside the mother. Saying this, the baby is alive and growing just like as if they were outside the mother (newborn through young adult).
Argument #2: Abortions cause psychological damage
- One aspect that is interesting about this view is women cannot take back the abortion, and they often feel depressed or become depressed because of this. Therefore, more and more people are put on depression medicine.
- Something I would notice if I believed this view, would be that women have psychological damage after having an abortion. But you wonder why they are having psychological damage when it was what they wanted or needed to do.
- This idea might be true because women are using abortions as another form of contraceptive and they end up realizing what they did. Therefore they are becoming depressed from their actions that they cannot take back.
Argument #3: Women should not be able to use abortion as a form of contraception If women become pregnant, they should accept the responsibility that comes with producing a child
- One aspect that is interesting about this view is women are being lazy and not using contraceptive until they face the problem with becoming pregnant. Then they either know they do not want a child or cannot have a child and get an abortion.
- Something I would notice if I believed this view, would be that health care should not cover abortion unless it is a needed abortion. This gives women an easy way to have an abortion for free or very cheap. Women are just using the fact they can just get an abortion rather than going through the trouble to use other contraceptives.
- This idea might be true because health insurance will cover the cost of an abortion. Women knowing this will not worry about making a mistake and not being able to afford an abortion.
- In conclusion, abortion has many people on both sides of the argument. But you need to open your mind to both sides before sticking to what you believe in. Answering the questions suggested by Elbow makes you really think about the other side of the argument. Overall, this is a very touchy subject but there are good reasons on both sides.