Considered as a heaven for surfers in yester years, Nusa Lembongan, once regarded as a hidden gem, has quietly crept up to fame and now emerges as one of the top spot for holiday destination for people visiting Indonesia. For people backpacking in Nusa Lembongan, there is a host of activities of to do without creating a dent in your pockets. In fact many backpackers choose to stay over here for a minimum of one week to take a break away from the hustle and bustle of life and forget themselves in the bluest waters, whitest sand and brightest sun of a place which will not be wrong to say is like a heaven on Earth.
$45 Bundle: 3 Expertly Crafted Essays!
Expert Editing Included
When people choose to do backpacking in Nusa Lembongan they do not select the island in isolation, rather they also visit the other two islands (Nusa Penida and Nusa Ceningan) which completes the Nusa islands group. They are all reachable through a boat from Sanur, located on the east side of Bali. The boat ride will take you around thirty minutes and cost you $18 one way. You can book the slow boats too where the ride will take approximately 90 minutes but will cost only $5 one way. The island is rather small, just around 1977 acres and people backpacking in Nusa Lembongan would be surprised to see that there are cars allowed here. The best way to explore it is through foot or you can choose to hire bikes or scooters. There are a lot of things to do in Nusa Lembongan which we will discuss in the article below.
- Scuba Diving
- Visit the Mangrove Forest
- Experience the Devi’s Tears
- Temple ceremonies
When backpacking in Nusa Lembongan, do not forget to try scuba diving here as the island has some of the best dive sites due it its vast variety of coral and crystal clear water. The most popular dive site is Crystal Bay located near the west coast. You will find plenty of manta rays, reef sharks and even the giant ocean sunfish popularly known as Mola Mola. Other dive sites include the Blue Corner, Mangroves, and Lembongan Bay. There are dive shops on the island that offer you a variety of dive packages to choose from as well as Padi water certification.
One of the top things to do in Nusa Lembongan is of course to visit the beaches. And they will not disappoint you. Here are the top three.
Paradise beach: Situated near the Jungut Batu village, at the end of the mangrove beach it is called Paradise beach for a reason. You can see the wonderful view of Mount Agung accompanied y white sand and mangrove trees all around.
Mushroom beach: If you are in a mood for water sports like snorkeling, surfing and swimming visit this beach as it is highly popular with tourists.
Dream Beach: Pure white sand and turquoise waters make it an ideal beach to relax around. Located n the south coast of Nusa Lembongan, it is great for advanced swimmers as the currents here can be fierce. Also visit the cliff at the right side of the beach. The views are marvelous.
Other beaches to check out are the Sandy bay, Sunset beach and Tamarind beach.
A Mangrove forest tour is sure to calm your senses therefore we recommend it to include it in the list of things to do in Nusa Lembongan. Prices start from 100,000 rupiah per person and the boat ride takes around twenty minutes. In simple wooden or fiberglass boats, you are taken for a ride around the area. Along the way you can witness clear water, nesting birds and animals like lizards and crabs. The best time to go here would be early morning or late in the day as there will be plenty to see around. Lastly, do not forget to check out Nyoman’s Wrung on Mangrove beach which offers fresh, delicious seafood.
If you walk for around five minutes from dream beach in the western direction, you will reach a magnificent place known as the devil’s tears. It the main water attraction and is one of the essential things to do in Nusa Lembongan. Here waves crash against the eroded cliff, which results in huge sprays of water and mist in the air and if you walk around the edge you will see huge waves crash under your feet with a thunderous sound. This spectacular display is enough to satisfy you on its own but if you are here, do not forget to see the amazing deep red sunset. It is truly stunning.
Surfing is still the number one reason the island is famous for and people backpacking in Nusa Lembongan should definitely check it out. The entire wave catching action is around Jungut Batu which is on the northwestern side of the island. There are three main surf areas according to your level of expertise. If you are an expert and profession surfer try the Lacerations and Shipwreck points and for beginners, Playgrounds is a good option. All these sites are reachable through a local boat or you can just paddle from the beach. The tides are high in the morning and you will find the area crowded with surfers during this time.
There are many beautiful temples located on the island which need to be checked out. As many special ceremonies and celebrations are carried out here all the year round, you are sure to catch one and come closer to discovering the Balinese Hindu culture. A point to remember is to wear a sarong when entering these temples as it is a required custom.
So there you have it. The top things to do in Nusa Lembongan. Just know that if you are looking for wild drunken parties, loud nightclubs and shopping then this is not the place for you. But if you are the type of backpacker who is looking for peace and tranquility and just want to re connect with nature, then do not waste time and book your first flight to Indonesia to come to this surreal island.
- Bali.com. (2022). Nusa Lembongan island. https://www.bali.com/nusa-lembongan-island.html
- Bali Mandira. (2021). What to do in Nusa Lembongan for an unforgettable trip. https://www.balimandira.com/bali-travel-guide/what-to-do-in-nusa-lembongan/
- Baliplus.com. (2018). Backpacking in Bali: Guide to Nusa Lembongan, Penida, and Ceningan. https://baliplus.com/backpacking-in-bali-guide-to-nusa-lembongan-penida-and-ceningan/
- Fathomaway.com. (2016). Island guide: Nusa Lembongan, Indonesia. https://www.fathomaway.com/nusa-lembongan-indonesia-travel-guide/
- Lonely Planet. (2022). Nusa Lembongan, Indonesia. https://www.lonelyplanet.com/indonesia/nusa-lembongan
- Nusa Lembongan Travel. (2022). Things to do in Nusa Lembongan. https://www.nusalembongantravel.com/things-to-do-in-nusa-lembongan
- One Step 4Ward. (2018). Backpacking Nusa Lembongan: Top 5 things to do. https://onestep4ward.com/backpacking-nusa-lembongan-top-5-things/
- Surfertoday.com. (2022). The best surf spots in Nusa Lembongan. https://www.surfertoday.com/travel/the-best-surf-spots-in-nusa-lembongan
- The Culture Trip. (2022). Top things to do in Nusa Lembongan. https://theculturetrip.com/asia/indonesia/articles/top-things-to-do-in-nusa-lembongan/
- Traveloka.com. (2022). Top things to do in Nusa Lembongan. https://www.traveloka.com/en-id/activities/indonesia/product/top-things-to-do-in-nusa-lembongan-2000570703025