“Discrimination, differential and pejorative actions that serve to limit the social, political, or economic opportunities of members of particularly groups “(Bell, 2011). We can see a discrimination in anywhere at anytime as long as there has a diversity. “Diversity, defined as real or perceived differences among people in race, ethnicity, sex, age, physical and mental ability, sexual orientation, religion, work and family status, weight and appearance, and other identities based on attributes that affect their interactions and relationships ”(Bell, 2011). Nevertheless, there has some discriminations encountered by Nike even as a big company. Nike is the top of the United States large sporting goods manufacturers, but also the world’s number one and two major brands, in the cross-border sports in the market share is the first. The Victory sign is a big hook. There will have a trouble if not manage the issues well like the company’s fame will be affected. Thus, as a manager we need to understand the reason why will happen the discrimination then overcome the issue and avoid it happen again. As a saying goes, “if you don’t nip this in the bud, it will eventually be the death of you” (Google 2019).
Nike , was founded by University of Oregon track athlete Phil Knight and his coach, Bill Bowerman, on Nike originally known as Blue Ribbon Sports (BRS) 25 January 1964.Initially, the company operated in Eugene as a distributor for Japanese shoe maker Onitsuka Tiger. The first shoes make for Otis Davis, who win two gold medals at the 1960 Summer Olympics. Besides, Nike had 50% market share in the United States athletic shoe market in 1980.The now-famous slogan ‘Just Do It’ is coined by the agency co-founder Dan Wieden for a 1988 Nike advertisement campaign. (Google 2019)
A wide range of sports equipment are produced by Nike. The first product of Nike was track running shoes. NIKE also output many types of sport products such as jerseys, shorts, cleats, base layers and so on. For a wide range of sport, including track and field, baseball, ice hockey, tennis, association football, across, basketball and cricket. It also provides for different person such as men, women and children. Recently, Nike teamed up with Apple Inc. It can through a radio device in the shoe that to links to the IPodnano what to monitors a runner’s performance. (Google 2019)
Kelly Cahill and Sara Johnston had been accused of sexual harassment and sexist culture at a Nike sportswear company, leading to women being devalued and underpaid. Johnston was with the company for nearly a decade until he resigned in November, and Cahill resigned in July 2017 after serving as a director for nearly four years. The reason is that women had for years been paid less than men, discriminated against women in performance reviews and promoted women less often than men in similar jobs. As a result, women were seeing as low on complaints of sexual harassment by human resources departments being ignored or mishandled. The company said it will increase competitive benefits and pay.
Before being New York Times found that longtime female employees had been sidelined from key positions at Nike and were subject to inappropriate behavior by supervisors. The company passed information to Mark Parker, Nike’s chief executive, after secretly investigating the experiences counterparts. Within months, at least 11 senior managers had leave.
On top of that, the second discrimination is race discrimination. “Racial discrimination in the workplace refers to discrimination against individuals according to their race. Policies of racial segregation may formalize it, but it is also often exerted without being legalized and it means facing injustice also.” (Google, 2019) A man, Inam who comes from New Delhi, India and worked in Nike within about three years claimed that he encountered “different treatment based on his race, color and ethnic origin” According to his lawsuit, his salary was less than white and refused promotion which good for white colleagues. Furthermore, he ever suffered hostile and intimidating treatments. He had tried to report this issue to Nike CEO Mark Parker in last year. ‘This case reveals the hypocrisy of Nike’s marketing efforts to portray itself as a diverse supporter, ‘ said Dana Sullivan, a lawyer for Buchanan Angeli Altschul and Sullivan, who represented Inam. ‘her client liked a second-class citizen because of his race.’ she pointed out. After Inam’s internal attention, Parker ‘let him stop for a few months, leaving him with no choice but to leave the company’ (Google, 2019).
The first way that Nike used to manage the discriminations is at an employee meeting at the Nike’s headquarter, Mr. Parker stand out and apologized to the workers that were omit and pledge oneself that he’ll provide compensate and training programs. Other than that, more than 7,000 employees in Nike or about 10 percent of the 74,000 employees worldwide will obtain ascent following a pay review. The second way is when Nike have a race discrimination in a town store in Chicago, the lawsuit was filed on behalf 400 black employees. To make up an apologize towards the employees, Nike agree to pay a total of 7.6 million to the employee that were mentally hurt. And the company agreed also to do some review on its practices and put up a mentoring program for the black employees.
Two issues that address discrimination are that I hold team training sessions. Because it is not enough to develop and distribute policies. Hence, a team training course on discrimination or harassment can help. Training is designed to break down historical misunderstandings about acceptable language or behavior. If training can be involved in role-playing and reviewing different people’s trigger words or actions. In addition to training in a conference setting, we can also organize some team-building activities that help my staff interact and understand each other better. This may include a diverse dinner, where everyone is invited to bring a dish from their cultural background.
Training can also enhance employees’ sense of belonging to the enterprise and sense of ownership. As far as enterprises are concerned, the more adequate training for employees, the more attractive it is for employees, and the more able it is to exert the high value-added of human resources, thus creating more benefits for enterprises. According to data, PepsiCo conducted a survey of 100 employees in Shen Zhen, out of 270, almost all of whom had attended training. 80% of the employees satisfied with their work, 87% of employees want to stay at work in the company. Training not only improves employees’ skills, but also improves employees’ awareness of their own value and a better understanding of their work goals.
Besides, communicating with each other is very important. If the world lacks communication, it will be an unimaginable world. The modern age is a world of communication, because communication expands the network of personal relationships and develops the support systems in interpersonal relationships to make conversation rewarding, simple and enjoyable. If long communication can make the other person feel your respect and understanding. This will quickly inspire others to understand you and to volunteer more help. Therefore, my President encourages open communication by encouraging employees to discuss issues with supervisors, Human Resource Departments, and designated people in the workplace. If someone feels discriminated against, it’s important that they feel safe and comfortable. For example, supervisors can guide employees to work better through communication. In this way, employees can better understand the intentions and decisions of leaders through communication. Colleagues can communicate with each other more closely. In an organization, all decisions and consensus are reached through communication.
From the above, I would like to make a conclusion. I want to express that Nike company will have discrimination. This is because there will has discrimination in different races in different areas even as long as existing diversity. Through the above Nike company’s solutions, they put down their unacceptable requirements to solve their company’s problems, because it was brought by the company. We should not treat others with the feeling of discrimination because the existence between people is to supplement the needs of each. In addition, we cannot choose not to accept a company because it has made mistakes, because everyone will make mistakes, and it is the right thing to grow. And everyone grows and experiences differently just by learning from their mistakes. Moreover, the company also has to make up for its mistakes and make up for the conditions of employees under circumstances that are totally unacceptable to itself. Thus, it’s not a bad company it’s just a company that needs time to figure out its mistakes.
1) “Discrimination, differential and pejorative actions that serve to limit the social, political, or economic opportunities of members of particularly groups. “Myrtle P. Bell. (2011) Diversity in Organizations. Mason. United States. South-Western, Cengage Learning. p. 41
2) “Diversity, defined as real or perceived differences among people in race, ethnicity, sex, age, physical and mental ability, sexual orientation, religion, work and family status, weight and appearance, and other identities based on attributes that affect their interactions and relationships.” Myrtle P. Bell. (2011) Diversity in Organizations. Mason. United States. South-Western, Cengage Learning. p. 41
3) “Nike is the top of the United States large sporting goods manufacturers, but also the world’s number one and two major brands, in the cross-border sports in the market share is the first. The Victory sign is a big hook.” (Available at: https://wuu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike [Accessed 16th June 2019]
4) “If you don’t nip this in the bud, it will eventually be the death of you” (Available at: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E6%96%AC%E8%8D%89%E9%99%A4%E6%A0%B9. [Accessed 15th June 2019]
5) “The background of Nike.” Available at: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike,Inc. [Accessed 14th June 2019]
6) “Racial discrimination refers to discrimination against individuals according to their race. Policies of racial segregation may formalize it, but it is also often exerted without being legalized and it means facing injustice also.” (Available at : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_discrimination. [Accessed 15th June 2019]
7) Adrianne Pasquarelli. (2019). Nike Sued for Racial Discrimination. Adage. Available at:https://adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/nike-sued-racial-discrimination/317081?fbclid=IwAR3IAUfvFLdmuIPqHGvHtVbZw_mcTODwHa7dzmlv6VjJyMCel9tFzN1fa84 [Accessed 15th June 2019 ]
8) Tiffany Hsu. (2018). Ex-employees Sue Nike. Alleging Gender Discrimination. The New York Times. Available at: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/business/nike-discrimination-class-action-lawsuit.amp.html [Accessed 13rd June 2019]
9) “According to data, PepsiCo conducted a survey of 100 employees in Shen Zhen, out of 270, almost all of whom had attended training. 80% of the employees satisfied with their work, 87% of employees want to stay at work in the company.” Available at : http://www.jiangshi369.com/insights/4854.html [Accessed 14th June 2019]