Science says that if you want to take care of your health, you need to move minimum 15000 steps a day.
- Walking is one of the most useful physical activities to stay healthy.
- Students and workers who spend too much time sitting should do their best to increase their number of daily steps.
- Reaching a certain daily limit is synonymous with health and well-being.
Do not you do physical exercise ? Do not you practice any sport? Do you spend much of the day sitting ? You should know that a simple change in your routine can make your health improve considerably. And the best part is that you will not notice your effort.
Walking is one of the best activities that exist to take care of health and the best thing about this activity is that we do it even unconsciously. It is not necessary to wear sports clothes and walk for half an hour a day, this can be highly beneficial , but the truth is that even unconsciously and through daily activities we all take a series of steps a day that bring us closer to an optimal state of health.
Benefits of walking 15000 steps
Walking is possible:
- Reduce cholesterol
- Prevent the onset of diseases such as diabetes.
- Accelerate the metabolism so that it processes certain substances better.
- Lower the risk of having high blood pressure.
- Lose weight.
- Improve the appearance of the legs.
- Decrease cellulite and delay its appearance.
- Have a better blood circulation .
- Prevent the appearance of varicose veins.
- Toning legs, glutes and abdominals.
- Strengthen bones and increase bone density.
- Have a stronger heart
- Improve cognitive functions.
- Decrease the risk of suffering from stress, since walking clears the mind.
- Cure insomnia.
How much should you walk?
This is a long-standing controversy, with several studies to consider and information that is constantly updated. In 1965, the Japanese doctor Yoshiro Hatano initiated this controversy by presenting his calculation in which he indicated that to really obtain all these benefits of a walk and thus improve health, it was necessary to take 10,000 daily steps . This involved walking between 7 and 8 kilometers per day and, therefore, burn approximately 20% of the calories ingested in a day with a diet of 2,500 calories a day.
Several organizations, including the World Health Organization, incorporated this recommendation that has remained in force for years, and continues to stand out at present. However, a study conducted in Scotland by William Tigbe , a physician at the University of Warwick , raised this figure to 15,000 steps per day . This is equivalent to about 11 kilometers of daily walk.
The discovery of Tigbe was made taking into account the movements of the Scottish postmen and how those who delivered their mail walking had a better state of health than those who worked in the office and therefore had a more sedentary routine. To achieve these 15,000 steps it is possible to opt for a daily walk in which to accomplish them or perform it in stages such as in the morning and in the afternoon.
But in addition, it is possible to use mobile applications especially dedicated to count the daily steps to measure the trips made in the day and increase this number by choosing to walk to work from time to time, or climb stairs instead of using the elevator. If these habits do not reach 15,000 steps a day, they can be completed with a short walk at the preferred time.